(Since this blog post was published, the blog has been re-branded! Letters From Sunshine is now Forever Charlotte Nicole. Although it’s a different name, it’s the same blog!)
Okay, okay. I know I said that my blog posts were going to be bi-monthly from now on…but I changed my mind. In a good way, though! When reading through some other bloggers posts, I was inspired to change-up how I’ve been doing my blog reports, and those changes will be starting next month!
However, with the changes I’ll be making, the bi-monthly blog reports simply won’t fit well with it. That left me with either doing the bi-monthly blogging report as promised, and then starting the new-and-improved blog posts in September, or publishing my July blog report really, really late. Since I didn’t want to wait over a month to begin improving these posts, I went with the later option.
Before I start, if you’re interested in reading any of my previous blog reports to see the advancements I’ve made each month, just click on which one you want to read below!
Adventure One: Blog Posts
Um, okay…I wrote a lot of blog posts in July. A LOT. In fact, not all of them were even posted because I began to get so far ahead that I had posts ready a month in advance. This is absolutely crazy, but it was a necessity since school is coming up.
The blog posts that I wrote and/or updated in July were:
- Ten Items to Delay Purchasing Until After College Move-In
- This post went over items that you should wait to spend money on until after you get to your dorm room and see what it is like. This post was something that I thought was extremely important since dorm move-in was quickly approaching at the time that it was published.
- Adventures in Blogging: June 2017 Blog Report
- This post went over all of my blog stats for the month of June, including my pageviews, the blog posts I wrote, etc.
- 15 Must-Haves For Your College Dorm Room
- Dorm rooms can have some extreme variances, and definitely an expectation vs reality for many students. Since I’ve lived in six different dorm rooms throughout my college and high school career, I’ve truly seen how dorm rooms can vary, and how that affected what I brought. However, there are some essentials that never changed, and I go over these with you in this post!
- Monthly Favorites: June 2017
- I got to try several new products in the month of June, and there were also some products that I’ve used for a while now that I absolutely love and wanted to share with you all. This blog post introduced a new series on my blog where I will share these favorites with you. Although I don’t plan on doing it every month, I do hope to do it every few months!
- How To Choose Which Colleges To Apply To
- Figuring out which colleges to apply to was a struggle for me in my senior year of high school. I couldn’t figure out which factors were truly important, what “types” of schools I should be looking at, etc. Even worse, I didn’t have a guide to help me through it. Now that I have been through the college process, I have created a guide to help students figure out which colleges to apply to!
- How To Create A Scholarship Application Portfolio
- My post on how to organize your scholarship binder has been one of my most popular posts, so I decided to expand on it further with a post on how to create a scholarship application portfolio. The portfolio is just one section of the scholarship binder, but it is an extremely important one since it is where 95% of the information needed for a scholarship application is pulled from.
- Updated: Ten Original Dorm Room Hacks
- My Dorm Room Hacks post was my very first blog post, which definitely took me down memory lane and showed me how much I’ve grown in my writing these past six months…it’s come a long way since then, let me just leave it at that.
- Basically, when I updated the post, I included some more information, some new pictures, and a new featured image. It’s still not written like I would have wrote it today, but it’s much better than it was, although I may still re-do the whole thing later on down the road.
- Updated: Why You Should Job Shadow Before Senior Year
- I’ve updated this post once before, where I pretty much re-wrote the entire thing. This time, I just changed some of the wording to make it clearer, added some SEO and keywords, created some new images for the post, etc.
I don’t think I’ve ever posted that much in a single month before, and to also consider that I had about 4 future posts planned for the next month, as well? I’m on a roll! With the back-to-school season in full-swing during the month of July, I was almost always constantly inspired for a new blog post to write, so finding great ideas was not hard to do, so I hope the inspiration keeps coming!
Adventure Two: Social Media
- I ended Twitter with 149 followers, which is an increase of 44 followers from June! Many of these followers were from the #BloggingCollege twitter chat that I hosted this month. Hosting the chat was super nerve-wracking at first, especially since there were a lot of people participating in it, but it was amazing getting to chat with other college bloggers!
- I ended July with 176 followers, which is an increase of 37 from June. This was much more then what I gained in June, so I was pretty happy with it.
- I ended the month with 22 likes and 23 follows, an increase of 3 in both categories. Although this may sound terrible to some people, Facebook has not been my primary focus at all throughout blogging. However, I do hope to show it more attention soon.
- I had 19 followers on Bloglovin’ in July, an increase of 8 from June. This was pretty good, especially since it took several months to even build up those 11 and I didn’t start reporting this statistic until last month.
- Pinterest is my main traffic source, so I was glad when I ended the month with 204 followers, an increase of 54! In July, I utilized some scheduling tools, was accepted into some new group boards, and applied for related content on Tailwind!
Adventure Three: Site Stats
I am really shocked at how much this blog has grown. It seems like just yesterday that I would be lucky if I was having 15 pageviews a day; in July I had 12,703 for the entire month.
No, I’m not kidding when I said that. 12,703!!!!
What’s even more exciting is that one of those days in July had over 1,000 pageviews in a single day (1,177 to be exact), but I still have no idea how that happened.
Here the trend of my pageviews for July:
What makes this so exciting was that last month’s pageviews came in at 7567, which means that I had an increase of 5,136 pageviews this month. I didn’t expect this growth to continue like it has, so this is super exciting for me.
Adventure Four: Blog Changes for July
Due to my increased amount of time blogging in July, I did make a few more changes:
The first change was that I updated my Facebook and Twitter banners. These have needed updating for a long time, and I’m glad I’ve finally been able to do that! Be sure to go check them out to see what the new ones look like.
The second change I made was that I changed infinity scroll back to having a read more button. Although I liked the infinity scroll, I could see how it could be a bit annoying to site visitors, and was even a bit annoying to me at times. I’m hoping that this will be a welcomed change, especially since some of my visitors come to my home page first, rather than through a specific blog post.
Adventure Five: Six-Month Blogiversary!
On July 17th, I celebrated my six-month blogiversary. This was super exciting for me, not only because it’s shown me how much I’ve grown through my blog these past few months, but because it also made me eligible to join the InfluenceHer Network! This is something I’ve been wanting to do for months, and will allow me to connect with other millennial bloggers.
July was a great month for me on the blog, and I was able to grow so much from it! Be sure to let me know what you think in the comments below, or you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I’d love to hear from you!